Thessir
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alignment vs Best judgment

2 posters

Go down

Alignment vs Best judgment  Empty Alignment vs Best judgment

Post by Gork Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:10 am

Rule #5: You must roleplay your alignment consistently. This does not necessarily mean you can't deviate now and then, but any act that does not fall in line with your alignment may get you shifted a tiny bit. See the glossary above on Alignments if you're unsure of anything.

Why even bother pointing this out? Dunno, but as it's pointed in rules of the server I just assume it's important, therefore I just wanted to make sure we all are on the same page when it comes to roleplay. I do love the idea that our own actions may affect us - and therefore others, along with surrounding world - as there is no point in having actions change our alignment while not affecting others - or world itself. Anyways I just wanted to put here my concern regarding intention and action, according to alignment section of glossary where action have much more impact then intention - and I can agree with it but only in case of Lawful Good characters, in any other case, a specially in case of Lawful Evil or any other whatever Evil combination intention is as important as action itself, or even more - unless you want to create world of white and black with no room for shades of gray - expect of oh so boring neutral characters who don't give a shit about anything.

Long story short. I would like to know on what bases Aligments changes will be made to characters - and how actively will DMs follow characters background and so on, obviously if someone is playing Evil - Chaotic character they actions may not be seen as such for 90% of the time - or even lot more then that. What's the point in killing someone just to prove to all the people surrounding you that you are evil bastard if you can act same way as any Lawful Good Paladin would? Profit! And show your true colors when it would really matter. In other words, yes, my question is also about how much 'fight' there will be between players playing smart evil characters and DMs who will just shift alignments basing it on action taken by the character.

Obviously this question is only important as long as DnD bullshit (sorry to put it this way, but that's my private opinion) alignment system is in any way important to Thessir and/or its mechanics.

And yes, by posting this thing I myself see it as perfectly natural for Evil character (of any kind) to present whole spectrum of DnD alignments at any point in their storyline - so do we have to trust DMs Best Judgment? Are we allowed to argue with them about decision they made regarding our own character - in case issue like that would ever happened?
Gork
Gork

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Alignment vs Best judgment  Empty Re: Alignment vs Best judgment

Post by Everlasting Empathy Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:21 pm

That rule is probably going to be pulled.

In any case, alignment is enforced on all three factors, intention means and actions, not just one. At least in my case, if it comes to a situation where your alignment is starting to wane, I will pull you aside and discuss it with you to see what's going on. If I still see there is a need for a shift, you'll be given choices on which alignment you'll be shifted towards on both axes. Chaos/Law or Good/Evil.

I take alignment shifts very seriously and won't be doing them lightly. The most I would do on the fly is a single point. Some alignments are enforced on a mechanical level, such as if you're a good character and kill a good-aligned NPC, or if you're a good aligned character and use an evil spell.
Everlasting Empathy
Everlasting Empathy
Project Captain

Alignment : Lawful Good

Character sheet
Name: Seraphina
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

Post by Gork Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:26 pm

if you're a good character and kill a good-aligned NPC

And this is one of rare occasions when it may not necessarily be the case, we can imagine a lot of scenarios when two good characters are fighting each other, and while they may not want to kill - it may happen or they may be forced to do so, as bad as killing is, not every killing may push you towards evil. Anyways, thank you for your answer! Smile
Gork
Gork

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by Everlasting Empathy Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:35 pm

You have no "good-aligned" reason to kill an innocent good-aligned NPC who just wants to sell you some goods.

It has nothing to do with good-aligned PCs.
Everlasting Empathy
Everlasting Empathy
Project Captain

Alignment : Lawful Good

Character sheet
Name: Seraphina
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down