Thessir
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crafting and Labor

5 posters

Go down

Crafting and Labor Empty Crafting and Labor

Post by Everlasting Empathy Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:45 pm

I'm in the midst of finishing the core scripts for the crafting system. What I have right now isn't based on your character levels, but on proficiency of your tradeskills. You level them up independently by making recipes, so on so forth.

Anyway, my question here is... I'm putting in a "labor" mechanic inspired in part by ArcheAge. The labor resets to full every day, and is spent on finishing projects... which are unfinished recipes. My question for you is, what should labor be based off of? Currently, Humans with the Laborer background get +10 to their labor, and Dwarves by default also get +10 (since they are a very crafty race.) Let's assume smaller projects only take, say, 5 or 6 labor... while larger projects might require up to 300 (which makes it so you have to spend several days working on something before it's finished...) Under that assumption, how should labor be calculated? Should I just set it to a flat amount?
Everlasting Empathy
Everlasting Empathy
Project Captain

Alignment : Lawful Good

Character sheet
Name: Seraphina
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

Crafting and Labor Empty Re: Crafting and Labor

Post by Twimitar Silque Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:22 pm

What do you mean, based off of? If you mean which attributes, I would think dex and int would make better craftsmen.
But this does sound neat!
Twimitar Silque
Twimitar Silque

Back to top Go down

Post by boozybard Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:40 pm

Or dex and con, because con would mean they can work longer/harder.
boozybard
boozybard
World Builder

Back to top Go down

Post by ColdWind Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:10 pm

I got two options:
1. based on toolset's prices
2. based on sinfar's PPs.
second seems easier - each option should have its labour price, let's say, pp*10
ColdWind
ColdWind

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by sngl_8 Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:41 am

Could use base attributes (to avoid cheating with temporary buffs, it is meant to be a long project), as previously suggested, but how much each attribute counts based on the type of item created. For example: a sword would require Strength and Constitution (it's hard labor and takes a while), an alchemical potion Intelligence, a crossbow Dexterity and to a lesser degree, Intelligence (it is a mechanical device, even if a fairly simple one).
Or, all attributes, perhaps with multipliers depending on the work type. Strength and Constitution since even alchemy involves some physical labor and people with those attributes tire slower, Dexterity and Intelligence for efficiency and organisation, Wisdom for its willpower component to work instead of procrastinating, and Charisma... the truth is, that no crafted item was created alone. Even a smith working on a simple sword will need people to help out: keep the flames hot with the bellows, prepare coal/wood/iron/water at the right temperature, create simpler components of the final product and who knows what else. In the end only the master smith was credited for the creation of the item - similarly how only a knight was credited for capturing a castle; all the lesser craftsmen (or soldiers) were conveniently forgotten, but they were there and did their part, sometimes even more than their master. Charisma is for managing the various apprentices/helpers that, like the necessary equipment, are sort of assumed to be there in the background when needed for the work.

The related skill might make a difference. The same project takes much less time for someone more skilled, since they already know how to do everything and how to do it efficiently, while someone less skilled will fumble and make mistakes, having to start over some parts.
Also, if it is reasonable to include in the crafting system, there might be a decision when starting the project how they will want to work: fast, normal or careful. This would affect the time it takes, and the quality of the final product.
sngl_8
sngl_8

Back to top Go down

Post by ColdWind Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:00 am

Let's divide the whole process between people (players)?
- Blacksmithy - requires str and con (str*2 + con modifier is a multiplier)
- Woodcutting - requires str and dex (dex*2 + str modifier)
- Tailoring - requires wit and cha (cha*2 +wit modifier)
- Enchanting - requires int (int*3)
- Blessing - requires wit (wit*3)

Blacksmiths create medium, heavy armor, iron weapons and rods, woodcutters - bows, staffs, wands, spears, tailors - robes and scrolls. Blacksmiths have wider range, but woodcutters and tailors produce wands and scrolls, which are in greater need.
Each product will have different "PP" - number of enhancements available to put on that item, depending on total skill with modifier.

Blessing provides stat incrementation on items, while Enchanting - all the rest: elemental damage, ab, ac, resistances etc. Maximum stats will be available only to skilled enchanters.

For example, a skilled blacksmith created an armor, which can "store" 10 points. 1 stat point consumes 2 points. Now he is trying to put some stats on it without high enough skill. He can put 5 different stats, +1 each, but someone else with high skill can apply +5 to one stat (str for example, which is needed for that blacksmith).

One player could possibly train everything, but it would be more efficient to cooperate with others.

Last edited by ColdWind on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
ColdWind
ColdWind

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by ColdWind Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:58 am

Materials.

I don't feel that we need gathering skills, and I think that it would be better to place all basic mats into mobs, because its boring to stand by a placeable object and click it a dozen of times.

As an example: metal ore from golems, wood from treants, hides from animals (bears, wolves), uncut gemstones (for enchanting) from elementals. Everyone can gather materials (and it should be very rare), but only skilled crafters/enchanters can get high quality components out of them.
ColdWind
ColdWind

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by Everlasting Empathy Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:41 pm

ColdWind wrote:Materials.

I don't feel that we need gathering skills

Just wait.
Everlasting Empathy
Everlasting Empathy