Thessir
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New idea - Mechanics - Regional and Cultural Languages

+4
Susurros
Ozzynl
The Death Of Dune
Raeburn Mark
8 posters

Go down

Coded Languages in Thessir?

New idea - Mechanics - Regional and Cultural Languages I_vote_lcap57%New idea - Mechanics - Regional and Cultural Languages I_vote_rcap 57% 
[ 8 ]
New idea - Mechanics - Regional and Cultural Languages I_vote_lcap43%New idea - Mechanics - Regional and Cultural Languages I_vote_rcap 43% 
[ 6 ]
New idea - Mechanics - Regional and Cultural Languages I_vote_lcap0%New idea - Mechanics - Regional and Cultural Languages I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 14

New idea - Mechanics - Regional and Cultural Languages Empty New idea - Mechanics - Regional and Cultural Languages

Post by Raeburn Mark Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:19 am

I propose the indoctrination of the DMFI language scripts, which use cryptographic letter replacement encoding, to provide an elaborate array of communication avenues in gameplay and roleplay development.

I suggest, additionally, that all languages are made white. I suggest that signs and other public sources of writing "speak" their contents to examinee's, so that they may be encoded in languages, and understood (and mechanically translated) by those that know the language they are written in.

I also suggest that, perhaps later down the development road, that each base language have slight letter variants to allocate for regional dialects for the purposes of partial translation. I also suggest that later down the road, "common", or "Written English" be visually removed altogether, and replaced with the various in game dialects.

I suggest that a language learning system be devised, eventually, but at present, knowing languages (or not knowing languages) is a somewhat voluntary choice made near character creation for the purposes of establishing a backstory.

I also assume that players will use their best judgement in regards to using this to promote RP development, desired RP conflict, and that behaviors such as exploiting emote transparency "*She seems to basically be making hand signals to ask you if you've seen any orcs around here*" will be frowned upon and discouraged.
Raeburn Mark
Raeburn Mark
Nefarious Wiki Lurker

Character sheet
Name: Raeburn Mark
Race:

Back to top Go down

New idea - Mechanics - Regional and Cultural Languages Empty Re: New idea - Mechanics - Regional and Cultural Languages

Post by The Death Of Dune Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:36 am

Yes! But...

Most definitely not agreeing with getting rid of Common altogether. THAT would be far too exclusionary, and new arrivals would have no idea what the hell was going on if they so chose to not read anything before logging in (which could happen...).

I really like the idea of actually being able to get messages written in various languages - then people won't be having to write an emote of 'this is written in Elven' and people consequently obviously ignoring it.
The Death Of Dune
The Death Of Dune
Dungeon Master

Alignment : True Neutral

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

New idea - Mechanics - Regional and Cultural Languages Empty Re: New idea - Mechanics - Regional and Cultural Languages

Post by Ozzynl Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:37 am

I love the idea of a language system.

But please for the love of all that is good and pure dont go overboard with it.

Just keep it simple, and maybe get a learning language in there as well.

So that a human may learn the elven speak or orcs or what ever.
Ozzynl
Ozzynl
Dungeon Master

Alignment : Chaotic neutral

Character sheet
Name: Anira
Race: Elf

Back to top Go down

Post by Susurros Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:26 pm

Keep it simple pls. Race languages plus int bonuses and that's all the number of languages you should have. Mages get more languages since their int grows each 4 lvls, and bards should have an extra language each x lvls.
Susurros
Susurros

Alignment : Neutral Evil

Character sheet
Name: Carrie
Race: Human

https://www.youtube.com/user/DMPumuki

Back to top Go down

Post by Everlasting Empathy Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:20 pm

Getting rid of common is not an option. I will try to work this out even still.
Everlasting Empathy
Everlasting Empathy
Project Captain

Alignment : Lawful Good

Character sheet
Name: Seraphina
Race: Human

Back to top Go down

Post by Skibbles Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:17 pm

I don't really know how to vote on this, given the extra words in the poll, and so I didn't vote.

Yes, languages are awesome and should go in!

No, I don't think bringing complicated dialects and sub-languages into the mix is going to bring anything interesting or immersive to the table.
Skibbles
Skibbles
World Builder

Alignment : Chaotic Snarky

Character sheet
Name: Mellisandra Blackmoon
Race: Half-Elf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhianedd Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:26 am

I'ld like racial languages, probably regional ones - but please apply the KISS principle Embarassed
Rhianedd
Rhianedd

Character sheet
Name:

Back to top Go down

Post by Exordius Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:43 pm

Lol all white... sounds kind of rascist. Smile JK

Having exotic languages would be nice... I can picture my character speaking in infernal or abyssal. Would be awesome.Very Happy
Exordius
Exordius

Alignment : Lawful Neutral/Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down