Thessir
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Idea - Mechanics - Trap Proposal

3 posters

Go down

Should normal traps be changed into identical "fire right away" grenades?

New Idea - Mechanics - Trap Proposal I_vote_lcap9%New Idea - Mechanics - Trap Proposal I_vote_rcap 9% 
[ 1 ]
New Idea - Mechanics - Trap Proposal I_vote_lcap73%New Idea - Mechanics - Trap Proposal I_vote_rcap 73% 
[ 8 ]
New Idea - Mechanics - Trap Proposal I_vote_lcap18%New Idea - Mechanics - Trap Proposal I_vote_rcap 18% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 11

New Idea - Mechanics - Trap Proposal Empty New Idea - Mechanics - Trap Proposal

Post by Raeburn Mark Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:46 am

On some servers, the default NWN mechanics are discarded due to their potential for abuse on multiplayer servers. Additionally, standard trap usage does inhibit the "forward motion" mentality of many multiplayer server's combat gameplay. Rogues rarely provide defensive roles outside of rare "under siege" or "enemy" assault type DM/PVP scenarios.

PC traps provide, in effect, a fired script upon hostile trigger. I propose that it would be possible to switch default traps, all of them, into throwable grenade like objects that fire upon landing. I feel that "Craft Trap" ingredients can still be used in conjunction with the skill to make these grenades, as intended. I do suggest, however, if possible, that a "Set Trap" check be made for those throwing these grenades, and that failures can result in no-effect "duds", and spectacular failures prompt the same "misfire" functions, still potentially avoided by the "Skill Mastery" feat.

This change would prevent a lot of potential for abuse, such as trap stacking, and traps going off long after installation targeting innocent bystanders with no option to detect or avoid an attack, rather than simply taking away one of the game's features intended to enrich the ability range of rogues, rangers, and assassins.

I do like the game's default trap system, and its potential for trap chemistry and elaborate defense, but, this change addresses the biggest complaints of advocacy against trap implementation. It may be considered, further in development, that a more involved trap creation and utilization (sabateur) type system be developed in the interests of traditional D&D trap experience.
Raeburn Mark
Raeburn Mark
Nefarious Wiki Lurker

Character sheet
Name: Raeburn Mark
Race:

Back to top Go down

New Idea - Mechanics - Trap Proposal Empty Re: New Idea - Mechanics - Trap Proposal

Post by Cortex Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:31 pm

This is one of these situations I feel that DM supervision beats removing mechanics.
Cortex
Cortex

Alignment : True Neutral

Back to top Go down

New Idea - Mechanics - Trap Proposal Empty Re: New Idea - Mechanics - Trap Proposal

Post by Ozzynl Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:23 pm

I agree with the above.
Trap grievers should be dealt with by dms.

Grenades are a nice opption but not as a replacement for trap. Traps should remain as they arare.

Ozzynl
Ozzynl
Dungeon Master

Alignment : Chaotic neutral

Character sheet
Name: Anira
Race: Elf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down